Kalyana Mandapa – Virupaksha Temple
Virupaksha Temple : The magnificent Virupaksha Temple lies at the western end of the famous Hampi Bazaar. On its eastern entrance the temple has a 120 feet high towers. Virupaksha temple houses the shrines of Shiva, Pampa and Bhuvaneswari. Some portions of this temple are older than the Vijayanagar Kingdom, dates back to the 11th or 12th centuries. Close to this temple is the 6.7 m tall monolith statue of Ugra Narasimha. According to a nearby inscription it was hewn from a single boulder in 1528 during the reign of Krishnadeva Raya.

Advertisements